Saturday, November 23, 2013

Brought to you by the letter "S"

Today, my Saturday involved sewing, shopping, and sushi.

Marion came over this morning to sew with me for a few hours. She was working on a ballerina print tote bag for her granddaughter. I took the plunge and started a new project, my Modern Maples Quilt. (Note: You can download this pattern for free on Lark Crafts' website here.) I decided I would make one block to check out the instructions and to see how I liked the background fabric I had selected.

One completed giant Maple Leaf.
How do you like my polka dots?
I'm using autumn-colored Kaffe Fassett fabrics from my stash for the leaves. I found a really funky taupe with polka dots on last weekend's shopping expedition with Joannie and Marion to Fabric Corner in Arlington.
I think the brightly colored polka dots will help give my quilt a modern feeling.

I was really surprised when I pulled the bolt off the shelf to find it was a border print, fortunately only on one side.

There are about eight inches of birds along the bottom.

I am trimming off the birds before I cut my background squares. Guess there will be bird place mats, bird table runners and bird tote bags in my future--I bought six yards of the background fabric because I wasn't sure how much I would need for a queen size quilt.

After a few hours of sewing, Marion and I headed out to Natick. We met Joannie for lunch, then headed to our true destination, Fabric Place Basement. We had Living Social vouchers to spend! Nothing exciting to show you, I bought some Kona black and some Kona grey for a quilt that I'm planning for my Dad.

Tonight, Mike and I went out for sushi to his new favorite place, Genki. They feature all natural and organic sushi. Their food is excellent.
Dining with my handsome husband

I don't care for raw fish. I had these yummy California rolls.

I think sushi is so beautiful. It is definitely an art form.
Mike won the admiration of our waiter by eating these
two trays plus the one below.

Hope you are having a great weekend!

Pugs and kisses,
Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment