Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Nice girls finish last


Last weekend, I did my first 5k walk/race. It was a benefit for Pug Rescue of New England (PRONE), which is one of my favorite charities. When I signed up for the walk a couple of months earlier, I had happy thoughts of walking along the beach with my husband Mike and our three pugs on a beautiful sunny day, surrounded by hundreds of other pugs and pug owners. I thought it would be a nice family activity as well as a great way to motivate me to start exercising again. I would also get a free t-shirt with a pug on it! 
Here we are before the walk began. My t-shirt is the photo from the holiday card
that Mike created last year. It has all three of our pugs on it.

Unfortunately for me, although last Saturday in Boston was sunny, it was also blisteringly hot and 93 degrees, even at 9:00 in the morning. We left our pugs at home, in air-conditioned comfort, and headed for Carson Beach, the race site. The runners started first and the walkers lined up behind them. I walk my dogs twice a day, and though we don’t walk far, I thought that walking three miles on a flat surface wouldn’t be too difficult.
Did I mention that it was hot? Yes, very hot. Seemingly no sooner than we had started, the first runner was already circling back, sprinting by us towards the finish line. He finished in 17 minutes.  My husband, Mike, took my picture at Mile 1. We had already stopped for a bathroom break, and my feet hurt. I noticed that the crowd was thinning and that we were in the back.  When we reached the midpoint, I drank one cup of water and dumped two cups down my shirt. At Mile 2, I suggested to Mike that if we turned around now, we would probably finish in the middle of the pack, and we could go get some ice cream. We walked on…

Although I finished in LAST place with the deplorable time of 1:30:01, I still had fun and I got a new pug t-shirt. Now I need to buckle down, start a regular walking program, and start training for next year. I only have to finish second to last to beat my own record.
Summer is a great time to be outdoors and enjoy lots of activities. When I’m not training for my next 5k, I enjoy gardening. Mike and I also plan to walk the Freedom Trail in Boston and maybe do some hiking with the pugs in the Blue Hills.
What summer activities do you enjoy? Do you enjoy being active? Where will you go on vacation?
Have a great day!
Pugs and kisses,
Nancy

1 comment: