Wednesday, February 13, 2013

In the mood for Valentine's Day

I don't remember what I did for Valentine's Day last year, probably because Mike and I were busy getting ready to get married six days later on the 20th. I can't believe that our one-year anniversary is almost here (Love you, Mike!).

This past Sunday night, as per my New Year's quilting resolution, I went shopping at Nancy's House of Fabric (aka my fabric stash). I found some really nice Valentine's Day fabrics, fortunately not as large a stash as my Chanukah fabrics. I pulled out a few to play with. Aren't they pretty?

Next, I went to the basement in search of something completely different, and found this instead.
These were a bunch of heart blocks that I received in an Internet block swap back in 1997. Yes, that makes them 16 years old. They were very happy to leave the basement and jump on the design wall. I pulled out three of my favorites and have decided to make a skinny wall hanging with them for the back of my door. Which order do you prefer?
Option 1

Option 2

Option 3

My preference is running between Option 1 and Option 3. I am going to put some pretty sashing between the blocks and add a border. It probably won't be done by tomorrow, but I'll be ready for next year.

Joannie came over on Monday night and she decided that she could use the other blocks to make a Valentine's Day wall hanging for her Mom. I'm sure that hers will get finished before mine.

Joannie's wall hanging layout
Although I'm really happy that the blocks are finally going to be used, there's just one problem. The bag they were in was labelled Set 2, which means that there must be another set lurking somewhere else in my house!

I also found this Valentine's Day panel which I just had to have, so much so, that I ordered it from an Etsy shop in England back in 2009.
So far, it has also taken up residence in the Home for Unfinished Projects, but I vow to make something with it this year.
Here are my three little puggy Valentines, Romeo, Elvis (in back) and Larry.
Here I am with my #1 Valentine, my husband Mike. This is on our honeymoon in Hawaii last year.
My first February finish: Mike's Valentine's Day pillowcases, made from 100% fabric stash!

Mike's favorite candy, a gift for tomorrow.
Hope you have a great Valentine's Day!

Pugs and kisses,
Nancy

1 comment:

  1. Happy (almost) anniversary! (Your husband has great taste in chocolates, by the way.)

    My maiden name is Valentine and yet, for some reason, I have *no* Valentine's Day fabric in my stash. I'm not sure how that's possible. I love the pillowcases you made with yours!

    I vote for layout #3.

    ReplyDelete